Recipe: A Delicious Apple Oatmeal
Winter has well and truly arrived on the Murray River in South Australia. At sunrise, mist covers the river valley and the wind-less mornings make for the most beautiful sunrise pictures!
The days (although chilly) have been beautifully sunny which is quite typical during winter in the Riverland. It makes getting out of bed for outdoor adventures just a little bit easier.
A Warming breakfast recipe
Something else that helps us get out of bed is a warm and delicious breakfast and earlier this year we discovered baked oatmeal!
This breakfast is warming, filling and the energy from the oats and apples keeps us going until morning tea.
It's a very simple recipe and one where substitutions can be easily made.
We make it with apple, but you could use pears or bananas.
Instead of using plain oats, we used a fruit and nut muesli mix, which has nuts, seeds and juicy dried fruit already mixed through.
If you like, you could sprinkle almonds or walnuts on top or throughout the oatmeal for some extra crunch and protein.
We recently shared a picture of our delicious oatmeal on Instagram and so many of you were asking for the recipe, so here it is! Bon Appetit!
Delicious Baked Apple Oatmeal recipe
(adapted from Making Thyme for Health Website)
- 2 cups rolled oats (can use a fruit and nut muesli as well)
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 apples, skin on diced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a large baking dish
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk
- Add the oats, oil, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract and honey
- Stir ingredients until mixed well then fold in the diced apples
- Spoon mixture into the baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
This oatmeal is best served warm with natural yogurt, golden syrup, jam or honey.
Do you know someone who would love this recipe? Share it with them by clicking on the links below.