Recipe: Easy Vegetarian Haloumi Fritters
There are a few classic staples that come to mind when thinking of a BBQ – sausages, onion, lamb chops, maybe a nice piece of steak and some marinated chicken! This is great if you’re a meat-loving carnivore, but what if you’d like to add in some veggies to reap the benefits of enjoying a balanced diet?
Cue our easy and delicious vegetarian haloumi fritters that are always a crowd favourite!
Vegetarian meals are often the second choice but not these haloumi fritters! We serve them for lunch on the final day of a Murray River Walk and we’ve had to increase our recipe because people are always looking for seconds!
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love haloumi, and all you need to do is toss in some sneaky vegetables like sautéed kale, zucchini and spring onions and you’ve got yourself a flavour savour!
We guarantee that at your next BBQ you’ll be handing out the recipe left right and centre for these easy vegetarian fritters!
Haloumi fritters Recipe
This recipe is great for using up vegetables in your fridge. Play around with different combinations - zucchini, kale, spinach, capsicum, baby spinach, spring onion, carrot! These fritters are also gluten free.
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 bag of kale, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 to 2 zucchinis, grated
- 1 Red capsicum, diced
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced (use the green part as well)
- 250g haloumi, grated
- Melt the butter in a frying pan
- Add the kale and gently sweat for 2-3 minutes stirring often, until wilted. Allow to cool.
- Into a large bowl, grate the haloumi and zucchini
- Add the diced capsicum, sliced spring onion and cooled kale
- To the same bowl, add the beaten the eggs, the flour, baking powder and seasonings until just combined. Don’t worry if your mixture is gluggy.
- Cover with a and refrigerate until needed.
- Leave the batter for a minimum of 30 minutes. This will allow the moisture from the zucchini to release, making the batter not as gluggy.
- Heat BBQ or fry pan and with olive oil, and pour dollops of batter
- Cook over medium heat to golden brown (3-4 mins) both sides
Enjoy hot with some tomato relish (our favourite is the Tuckerro Bush tomato relish!)
Do you know someone who would love this recipe? Share it with them by clicking on the links below.