Our Favourite Past-Times on a Murray River Escapes Holiday
There’s something special about houseboat holidays. They are a bit like camping, but you can escape to the great outdoors without having to pack a million and one things! Houseboats have all the creature comforts of home including hot showers, a spa, full kitchen and cosy beds.
The best part, you don’t have to spend all your time in one spot. You can cruise the river daily and find a new location each night. One night you’ll be admiring the sunset glow on the spectacular cliffs and another night you might be serenaded by a chorus of kookaburras perched high in the canopy of the red gum forest. They are a great way to discover the beauty of the Murray River and create memories that last a lifetime.
A Murray River escapes
Our new experience, Murray River Escapes, has been designed to help you achieve just that. Our local guide will help you discover so much about the Murray River and you’ll also have a blissful holiday on where the stress will melt away and you get to spend some quality time with loved ones. Each day our experienced local guide will help you find the perfect nightly mooring location. Leaving more time for you to spend with family or friends.
This is what makes our Murray River Escapes houseboat holidays so special, they are the perfect holiday for groups of friends or family. Together you can escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and spend some quality time together.
We have two options available for our Murray River Escapes tours, you can learn more about them by clicking HERE.
- Option 1 includes a local guide to help find the perfect mooring sites, and how you spend each day is entirely up to you and unplanned.
- Option 2 also includes a local guide, however, we also help you build an itinerary of daily On and Off River activities like a Wine Tour or Native Food Masterclass.
Today we are sharing some suggestions on how to occupy your day with Option 1 of our Murray River Escapes tours.
So what do you do with your time while on a Murray River Escapes tour?
Here’s some of our favourite past-times!
- Take a short walk at sunrise and see the spectacular colours in the red gums and cliffs as the sun rises above the horizon
- Photograph the first light on the water and the mists rising
- Photograph spectacular sunrise and sunset
- Climb the cliffs on a gentle slope and view the vast river valley
- Create a tally of birdlife (Emu, Whistling Kite, Pelican, Egret, Mallee Ringneck)
- Spot a kookaburra
- Set a fishing line with a bell to alarm you. Hopeully you catch a Callop (Golden Perch) which are good eating!
- Read a book
- Make a small campfire in non-fire season (check local dates) and bake some potatoes or toast marshmallows
- Take a dip in the river
- Hop into a canoe and go for a paddle in a creek
- See how many kangaroos and emus you can see
- Play a round of cards (UNO)
Join us on a murray river Escapes
Our Murray River Safari tours are private and customisable for 3, 4, 5 or 7 nights. They are available on request from March through to November each year.
Tours depart from Renmark in South Australia, flights are available into Adelaide airport.
All our Murray River Escapes include the following as standard:
- An experienced local guide who will help you find the perfect nightly mooring site is our way of sharing our immense knowledge of this river system.
- A complimentary Riverland Wine Pack and Riverland Gourmet Produce Pack is included in your tour package and will be waiting for you on arrival.
- Your modern houseboat accommodation is purpose fitted for groups and features 5 double rooms, 2 bathrooms, large lounge and dining areas, fully equipped kitchen, top deck spa and swim deck for enjoying the afternoon sunset.
- We also include the cost of all fuel to operate the houseboat engine and generator, together with free secure car parking for the duration of your journey.
- At your request, we can also include up to 2 double canoes (with paddles and personal flotation devices) on the houseboat.
This is a self-catered experience.